Read John 1:1-18
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. Read More…
Meet Sister Ellen McAdam
Sister Ellen McAdam is a Junior High Math, Science, and Religion teacher at St. Patrick School and Educational Center in Lowell, MA. Read More…
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God. and the Word was God." — John 1:1
Did you know that Dictionary.com has 14 definitions, not including idioms, for word. Yes, there are 14. They range from one or more spoken sounds or their written representation that function as a purpose or carry a meaning, to a proverb; a motto.
As I read through these definitions, the definitions that jumped out at me were “news, tidings, information.” Think about these word for a moment. Now consider how easily these words in the definition can be applied to Jesus' life:
- the news that Mary would give birth to a son;
- the angel's information to Joseph that Mary conceived of the Holy Spirit;
- the glad tidings to the shepherds of good news and great joy;
- the Magi's news to Herod of the one born king of the Jews
- the information from Simeon and Anna in the temple, and this was all before Jesus was even 12.
We celebrate today the birth of the Word of God, the birth of the bringer of good news, God's tidings, God's information, God's love to us. Now, the Word is a good definition of Jesus' life with its good news, tidings of great joy, and continuing information of God's love.