Sr. Ellen B. Gielty, SNDdeN, 17th Superior General (1990 – 2002)
By Sr. Anne Stevenson, SNDdeN, Director of Communications
We, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, on five continents mourn the loss of our 17th Superior General, Sr. Ellen B. Gielty. We send sympathy and condolences to the Sisters in the British Province.
Through her Leadership in the Congregation, Sr. Ellen actualized, with two General Government Teams (GGT), THE ACTS OF THE GENERAL CHAPTERS of 1990 and 1996. Her Leadership, grounded in a prophetic spirituality was remarkable and significant for our Congregation.
These are some highlights of what Sr. Ellen accomplished with her Sisters in the GGT in:
* Promoting the spirit, charism and friendship of the Co-Foundresses, St. Julie Billiart and Françoise Blin de Bourdon in multiple ways, including the publication of their Dialogue Letters
* Promoting a Vision for Mission, in collaboration with Province Leadership at numerous meetings at province, inter-province and cross-cultural levels on five continents
* Ensuring the sharing of Resources for Mission, including Living Expenses and Education of our Sisters in the Southern Hemisphere through an International Office of Africa and Latin America, which later became an Office of Mission Support, and eventually “naming” these resources in a Jubilee Fund
* Establishing a strong Communications System for Mission and initiating the printed publication, Notre Dame International and an international Intranet of First Class, still actively viable and expanding today for congregational communications
* Researching and establishing the role of the SNDdeN NGO Representative at the United Nations
* Organizing international meetings of Communications, Finance and Formation personnel as well as three international meetings of Archivists, which included the Coesfeld and Amersfoort Sisters of Notre Dame
Sr. Ellen B. Gielty, SNDdeN
* Strengthening internationally programs for newer members and for ongoing renewal in the Congregation, with priority for gatherings of SNDdeN formation personnel
* Bringing to the forefront the history and heritage of the Congregation to envision a Congregational Heritage Centre in Namur, Belgium
* Promoting relationships and programs for Notre Dame Associates internationally
* Clarifying, formulating and circulating in seven languages to all Provinces a Mission Statement of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 2000
* Completing the final design of an Official SNDdeN Logo for the Congregation
Internationally, SNDdeN sing the Magnificat in all that God has accomplished in Leadership through Sr. Ellen, as General Moderator with our Sisters in two General Government Teams. We proclaim with St. Julie Billiart: “Ah! How good is the good God.”
May Sr. Ellen Gielty rest in the peace of our good and loving God!