An Invitation for Bicentenary*
Notre Dame Schools in Belgium and France invite other schools around the world to join the celebration of the Bicentenary of St. Julie Billiart (1751-1816). In Belgium, the festivities will begin on April 8, 2016.
Activities in process:
- Each school has a flash drive with the life of St. Julie and her founding of the Congregation;
- A newspaper, The Relay of Notre Dame Schools, includes information about bicentenary activities/events in the schools.
- On April 11, 2016, plaques will be posted at the entrance of all schools which say: “You are here in a school which lives the values of St. Julie Billiart and where each person finds his/her place and works with joy.”
- On the 8th of each month, the schools will distribute good words of St. Julie to students and teachers.
- Some students and teachers will visit the Heritage Centre in Namur in 2016.
Other school celebrations:
- In Berchem, a digital screen in front of the school projects images and quotations of St. Julie. All girls with the name Julie will receive a gift.
- In Namur — On May 3, 2016, students will release hundreds of white balloons, with Julie’s words hanging on cards: “ I feel deeply for Namur something which touches my heart.”
- In Saint-Hubert, the school has a CD with songs on St. Julie and the student choir will sing these at a concert in the parish church.
- The school in Orvilliers-Sorel invites all groups to come while visiting, at the time of the pilgrimage, the birthplace of St. Julie in Cuvilly, France.
Will your school organize some event or project for the Bicentenary Year to celebrate St. Julie Billiart? Please send communications about your school’s activities or plans to Sr. Marie-Thérèse Béget in Namur, Belgium
(MarieTherese.Beget@sndden.org). These communications will be included in The Relay of Notre Dame Schools.
*Synthesis from “Power of One: Impact of St. Julie Billiart in Bicentenary,” Good Works, March 2016, pp. 12-13.